Soccer, formally known as association football, is the world’s most popular team sports that features opposing two teams of 11 players, playing on a wide rectangular grassy field, with a spherical ball being played until it touches a netted area called the goal. The objective of the game is to score by putting the spherical ball inside the opposite team’s goal. The team that score most goals wins the game. If the score at between both teams are leveled, it is declared a draw, or extra minutes will be provided to continue playing or do penalty shootout to determine the winner, depending on the format of the game they played.
This sport is one of those games that is not allowed to used hands in playing. Goalkeepers, those players that are positioned at the entrance of the netted area, are exception to that rule as they are only player allowed to use hands in playing the soccer ball during play and only in their penalty area.
Parts of the Soccer Field
Penalty area is the portion of the field at which goalkeeper may use his hands and fouls are punished by awarding a penalty kick to the violator. It includes the penalty mark, the goal area/box and an arc on the top of the box commonly known as “the D”, but formally defined as the penalty arc.
A goal consists of two upright posts equidistant from the corner flagposts and joined at the top by a horizontal crossbar. The goalposts and crossbar must be made of wood, metal or other approved material. They must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape and must not be dangerous to players. This is placed in the center of the goal line.
Goal box is a small box inside the penalty area. Also called the six-yard box, goal kicks are taken from anywhere in this part of the football field. One side of this box coincides with the the goal line, that determines the entire width of the field. If the ball goes out of the end line, especially on this line, and an attacking player is the last to touch it, the game will be restarted with a goal kick. If a defending player is the last to touch the ball before it crosses the goal line, the game with be restarted with a corner kick.
The semi-circles at each corner of the playing pitch are called corner arc. The ball is placed anywhere in this area during a corner kick.
Halfway line has no known technical usage aside from it is a line dividing the soccer field into two equal areas, with a spot in the middle designated as kickoff spot, which is know as the center spot. Center spot or center mark is a bold marking at the middle of the center circle at which the ball is placed during kickoff. Players may not cross this line from their area until kickoff has been taken.
Touch line, also know as sidelines, determines the entire playing field for soccer. Balls goes out of this line will be put back in play by a throw. This line also bounds on one of the goal lines so when ball goes in this direction, the ball will be played back by awarding a corner kick or a goal kick depending on whose team last-touched the ball.
Technical area as shown above, is a box drawn in front of each team’s dugout. One person at a time is allowed to shout instruction from there.
Soccer Field Dimension Standard According to FIFA
The dimensions of the soccer field are specified in Law 1 of the FIFA Official Laws of the Game. Soccer is one the games that has rules written and codified into law. FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association or International Federation of Association Football in English) is the international governing body for association football, futsal and beach soccer. The organization is responsible for administration of major football tournaments such as the World Cup, oversees 209 member nations and in-charge of promotions thru tournaments at which they gather their revenue. Although FIFA is the governing body, they do not have total control about the rulings of the game, although they are in charge in maintaining the Laws of the Game
The following are excerpts from the standard dimensions of the soccer field according to Law 1 of the Laws of the Game (latest):
- The field of play must be rectangular and marked with lines. These lines belong to the areas of which they are boundaries.
- The centre mark is indicated at the midpoint of the halfway line. A circle with a radius of 9.15 m (10 yds) is marked around it.
- Marks may be made off the fi eld of play, 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc and at right angles to the goal lines and the touch lines, to ensure that defending players retreat this distance when a corner kick is being taken.
- All marking lines must be of the same width, which must be not more than 12 cm (5 in).
- The entire playing field should be within the following dimensions:
- Standard–> Touch line (length): 90 m (100 yd) to 120 m (130 yd); Goal line (width) : 45 m (50 yd) to 90 m (100 yd)
- International matches –> Touch line (length): 100 m (110 yd) to 110 m (120 yd); Goal line (width) : 64 m (70 yd) to 75 m (80 yd)
- Two lines are drawn at right angles to the goal line, 5.5 m (6 yd) from the inside of each goalpost. These lines extend into the field of play for a distance of 5.5 m (6 yd) and are joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line. The area bounded by these lines and the goal line is the goal area.
- Two lines are drawn at right angles to the goal line, 16.5 m (18 yd) from the inside of each goalpost. These lines extend into the field of play for a distance of 16.5 m (18 yd) and are joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line. The area bounded by these lines and the goal line is the penalty area.
- Within each penalty area, a penalty mark is made 11 m (12 yd) from the midpoint between the goalposts and equidistant to them.
- An arc of a circle with a radius of 9.15 m (10 yd) from the center of each penalty mark is drawn outside the penalty area.
- A quarter circle with a radius of 1 m (1 yd) from each corner flag post is drawn inside the field of play.
- The distance between the posts of the goal is 7.32 m (8 yd) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft).
- Corner flagpost are required to be installed in the field.